Wednesday, July 19, 2006

AΩ.... of beginnings and ends

The title of this post (some of you already noticed right =P?) is due to two facts:

1) [Concerning beginnings] Lakshmi, a friend from the OpNeAR Lab here at UT Dallas suggested that I started writing in English because he wasn't able to understand my last post jaja [Lakshmi: in Mexico we normally use "j" instead of "h" for laughing... I use both, depending on the situation]. Btw, he's from India. Maybe I'll keep writing in English, and sometimes in Spanish.... maybe not... lets wait and see what time brings haha. ["h", see =P?]

2) [Concerning ends] This is one of the last posts I will be making in Blogger! It's Google-related, I know, and Google tends to do cool software..... actually, Blogger is still cool software. But I really disliked the way it handled font-size and -color editing during my last post...... so first I gave Wordpress another chance. I imported all of this blog into Wordpress, it looked ok.... but then I realized the original formatting (meaning the formatting here) was screwed! =S. All the CR/LF's characters (.................. ok, "Enters" for you non-geek audience out there jeje) had disappeared! Luckily, one "publishing" of the first post fixed the problem, but that definitely didn't contribute to my good feelings towards Wordpress, and it didn't help those towards Blogger either.

What could I do then? I know there are several open-source, compile-configure-and-host-it-yourself blogging engines out there, but the last time I looked none of them caught my attention. Then... the voices..... the message.... they dragged me to the Dark Side..... THEY MADE ME DO IT!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..............





[..........

*clears throat*......

*recovers style*]

Ejerm, where was I? Oh yes.... I mean, my Geek side took control of my mind and suggested "make one of your own".

The day before, I had been in the dilemma of uninstalling XAMPP or not. The name XAMPP comes from LAMP (Linux-Apache-MySQL-Perl/PHP/Python). Don't know what the X stands for though. Anyway, in essence, for me it works as a DB+Web-server........... and why do I bother explaining this if the ones who know XAMPP now what it is for, and the ones who don't most probably don't understand the DB+Web-server thing anyway......

The point is that I didn't uninstall it, so I still had (have actually) a framework for developing and testing a web-site that could be made dynamic and with access to a DataBase. I like to develop this kind of proyects, and I actually felt like I NEEDED to do one...... plus, most of you not-so-frequent readers know how much I like intellectual challenges =P. So I finally decided that I would do my own blog engine.

I started with the task on Monday I think.... and it's almost done by now. The functional part at least, I suck at designing GUI's (Graphic User Interface) or designing ANYTHING for that matter..... so it doesn't look nice haha. But it does have color and titles are easily distinguishable from the post itself..... same for the comments, which already work (there's no user-pass login like in blogger, you just write who you are and your comment.... I won't be needing authentication anyway). So far I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm using AJAX for some parts of it, which is keeping the HTML code far cleaner than any other I've ever done =O.

When I have a sufficiently showable version I'll upload it somewhere so you can comment on it (pun intended ;)).


Now.... before getting to it: Lakshmi, I implemented a sub-section for each post some weeks ago, named "Alex is", where I put and try to "describe" phrases obtained by googling "Alex is". Here it goes now.


"ALEX is designed to be user-friendly"

Well, yes,
I think I am haha. I would appreciate any comments on this =P.

Not at all like my blog-engine though. I'm a Geek, I don't need "user-friendliness" to get things working (H) and I'm the only one who will be using it from the admin-side. But still, I've managed to transform a plain textarea into a semi-rich text editor with "bold/italic/underline" buttons and colors =D....... okok enough geekiness for one post, I'll shut it.

2 comments:

dekaru said...

jajajaja "user-friendly".. pues sí, alex es pequeña, amable, funcional y tiene calcetines muy blancos... podrías comenzar la nueva tendencia en estándares :P

Anonymous said...

wey... eres más geek de lo que pensaba

yo me acuerdo cuando en itgs aprendí lo que era GUI..aww

pero en tu caso geek no es sexy eh

p.s. ya quiero mi flu!!